Termination of Parental Rights in Arizona

The termination of parental rights becomes and extremely important step when it comes to the adoption of a child. In order for anyone to legally adopt a child, the parental rights of the biological parents must be terminated by the order of the court. This can happen both voluntarily or involuntarily based on the situation.

Voluntary Termination of Rights

In some cases, the biological parent may choose to voluntarily terminate their rights to a child. Parents are sometimes willing to consent to the termination of parental rights because it will relieve them of child support obligations or other responsibilities. They might also feel unable to provide an adequate situation for raising the child.

Even when this is the case, there are still legal proceedings and paperwork that must be handled in a certain way. Having an experienced family law attorney such as Brad Crider in your corner during these proceedings can ensure things go smoothly.

Involuntary Termination of Rights

There are cases where the courts will terminate the parental rights of an individual even without their consent. This typically happens in extreme situations. It must be proved that the child is in serious emotional or physical danger, or that the parent is unfit to take care of the child. Some of the most common reasons a parent would be found unfit include the following:

  • Severe child abuse or neglect
  • Child abandonment
  • Substance abuse by the parent
  • Criminal history – felony conviction or incarceration
  • Long-term illness
  • Sexual abuse
  • Misconduct or abuse of siblings

Other situations or allegations can also warrant the involuntary termination of parental rights by the court. In any event, when the child’s safety is at risk, the courts will want to put the child in a safe environment as soon as possible.

Legal Support

In some cases, the initial filing for termination of parental rights can lead to dependency hearings or other litigation in court. To avoid a long process, consult with a family law attorney. Crider Law has experience in such matters and will help you quickly and effectively file for termination of parental rights. Brad Crider will first review your case and advise you on how things should proceed. He can work with other attorneys involved and represent you in court if needed.

To learn more about the process, give Crider Law a call today to set up your initial consultation.