Modify Your Custody Arrangement: How Your Attorney Can Help!

Whether it is six months or many years after the divorce is said and done, you may find that it’s time to modify your custody arrangement. Reopening discussion with your spouse on the issue of custody and parenting time can be difficult as it often means making another major alteration in your life, your spouse’s life, and the lives of your children. Hiring an attorney to facilitate mediation and handle the details will not only allow you to spend more time with your children during the transition, but will also benefit your and your child’s health and safety.

In order to request a new or modified custody arrangement, a change must have taken place that will significantly impact your child. When evidence of a “changed circumstance that is substantial and continuing…” (A.R.S 25-503(E) is presented to a judge, he/she will determine if a new parenting agreement is in the best interest of the child. Some examples of circumstances that warrant such a change include:

  • Significant increase/decrease in income
  • Adopting or giving birth to another child
  • Onset of a medical disability
  • Ongoing domestic violence

It is better to consider a legal change in custody as a last resort rather than your initial solution to any familial discord. This is because the frequent arguments, court hearings, constant changes, and the high levels of stress that accompany such turmoil in the home can be very harmful to a child who is developing into a young adult. Your attorney can help you work out familial discord by mediating parental discussions on changes that need to be made in the parenting agreement. Brad Crider is an experienced family law attorney who is well versed in child custody and domestic relations laws in Arizona. His expertise will not only help you solve problems, but also ensure legal changes are made quickly to keep your child protected from harm or obstacles that may come as a result of your changing circumstances.

If your child is a victim of abuse or domestic violence, you can file a “Petition for Temporary Modification of Custody without Notice” to remove your child from the dangerous environment immediately. Once your child is safe, your attorney can help you through the necessary process to permanently change the custody arrangement.

To better determine if your circumstances warrant a change in your custody order, consult the Crider Law Firm before filing any paperwork. This will save you time, money, and unnecessary stress. To set up a consultation with Brad Crider discussing divorce, division of assets, or child custody arrangements, call the Crider Law Firm today.


Contact us for a consultation

  • Let us have the chance to assist you. We will only use this information for your consultation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.